LEGAL ESSENTIALS OF SUCCESSFUL MANAGEMENT Winter Session 2019
A CRITICAL MANAGEMENT TRAINING COURSE
Because a good intention is not a legal defense
Two-Day Session: March 6-7, 2019
Two-Day Training Course – 9:00 – 4:00p.m. each day (one hour lunch on own)
EARLY BIRD REGISTRATION DISCOUNTS APPLY IF REGISTER ATTENDEES BY February 15, 2019!!
Location: Best Western Vista Inn at the Airport – Sierra Room – 2645 Airport Way, Boise, ID
Who Should Attend: Managers/Supervisors, HR Staff, Payroll, Owners/Officers, Operational Staff
Your company’s managers, whether front-line or executive level, serve as legal agents of your business. In most cases, their actions – good, bad or otherwise – are legally imputed to your business. This two-day course is a comprehensive training opportunity presented by an attorney with over 34 years of experience in HR/employment law and litigation. The “boot camp” interactive training is designed to equip attendees with the essential knowledge and tools they need to be successful while protecting your business from liability. Attendees will receive a Certificate of Completion. Help your business and management staff succeed by investing in education. Topics that will be covered include:
- LEAD OR BE LED – Ethical and Legal Responsibilities of a Manager; Leading by Example, Assessing Leadership Strengths and Weaknesses; Expectations of a Supervisor; Manager versus Leader
- HIRING PRACTICES – Job Descriptions, Resumes v. Applications, Proper and Improper Interview Questions, Mock Interview Exercises, Background Checks
- MAINTAINING A RESPECTFUL WORKPLACE – Creating and Maintaining a Positive and Respectful Team; Preventing Harassment and Discrimination; Honoring Diversity
- WAGE AND HOUR ESSENTIALS – Ensuring Compliance with Wage and Hour Hotspots – Exemption Misclassifications, Overtime, Travel and Training Time, Rest and Meal Periods, Timekeeping Violations, Bonuses; Practical Strategies to Enforce Wage Laws on a Daily Basis
- PRIVACY ISSUES IN THE WORKPLACE – Managing Issues Relating to Social Media, Cell Phones/Texts, Computers/Internet, Workplace Searches, Confidential Information (financial, employee medical, protected health information, etc.).
- DISCIPLINE AND DOCUMENTATION – How to Effectively Document to Protect the Organization and Reward Staff; Positive Feedback and Performance Reviews; Communicating Expectations; Disciplining Substandard Performance; Disciplining Bad Attitudes; Strategies and Role Playing for Effective Discipline; Illegal Reasons to Terminate; Understanding At-Will Employment; Review of Top Areas of Misconduct and Strategies to Address Problem Areas
- MANAGING WORKER INJURIES – Manager’s Legal Responsibilities in Complying with the Family Medical Leave Act; Understanding and Implementing the Americans with Disabilities Act; Addressing Workers’ Compensation Requirements
Registration Fee* – MNW members – $525 per person; Early Bird Discount – $485 per person if register by February 15, 2019 ; Non-members: $595 per person; Early Bird Discount – $525 if register by February 15, 2019
*Since class size is limited, registrations are non-refundable and may not be cancelled. The registration is transferable to another attendee for the same session.