ONE-DAY MANAGEMENT REFRESHER SEMINAR – Continued Development for Effective Leadership
ONE-DAY MANAGEMENT REFRESHER SEMINAR
CONTINUED DEVELOPMENT FOR EFFECTIVE LEADERSHIP
Tuesday, February 25th
8:30 a.m. – 4 p.m.
(Catered lunch included)
THIS COURSE IS ONLY OFFERED TO INDIVIDUALS WHO HAVE PREVIOUSLY ATTENDED MNW’S ESSENTIALS OF MANAGEMENT COURSE. THIS IS A MANDATORY PREREQUSITE FOR ATTENDING THIS REFRESHER COURSE
Location: Best Western Vista Inn at the Airport, 2645 Airport Way, Boise – Sierra Room
The labor market and employment laws are constantly changing. Managers, supervisors and operational personnel who remain static will find themselves struggling with retention and legal compliance. This course is for those who attended the Legal Essentials of Management course. It is a one-day refresher course focusing on leadership and risk management, an update on new legal developments and trending leadership strategies to boost retention and improve morale. The course includes group activities and discussions. Help your business and management succeed by investing in continuing education and risk management. Topics covered include:
- WORKPLACE CIVILITY REFRESHER – Ensuring a respectful team; Preventing harassment/discrimination and legal developments in this area; Curbing negative attitudinal behavior of an otherwise competent employee; Illegal and legal steps that can be taken for disrespectful social media posts
- WAGE AND HOUR HIGH RISK AREAS – Wage claims can now result in individual liability for managers, and wage violations are currently the number one class action lawsuit! State laws are adding wage laws in a frenetic pace. This section will refresh managers on one of the most high-risk areas of management including the current wage laws relating to remote work, use of personal devices, off the clock work, training and travel time, wage deductions, child labor, docking, overtime, timekeeping and exempt versus non-exempt regulations.
- EFFECTIVE DISCIPLINE AND DOCUMENTATION – Group activities and sample forms provide attendees with hands-on exercises to improve business writing (grammar and legal) and empower them to reward or discipline staff
- LEAVE LAW REFRESHER– This is another area where individual liability may result from missteps. The course will review what managers’ current legal obligations are in complying with state and federal leave laws, including individual liability risks (FMLA, military, jury, bereavement, non-FMLA leave)
- HIRING PRACTICE REVIEW – This section reviews proper and improper interview questions, implications of using social media for recruiting and background checks, negligent hire/criminal background checks, sample rejection letters, I-9 compliance and personnel file laws
- IMPLEMENTING EFFECTIVE RETENTION STRATEGIES – Resignations are up, and unemployment rates are way down. This segment assesses turnover and assists managers in developing and implementing effective retention strategies to help your business retain employees and keep morale high.
MNW Member Registration Fee: $339 per person; $299 per person if two or more attendees
(Members registering on-line should log in as member to receive discount; Members will be billed in normal monthly billing cycle; members do not pay on-line) Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you need your login information. MEMBERS WHO FAIL TO LOG IN WILL PAY NON-MEMBER PRICES.
Non-Member Registration Fee: $395 per person; $355 each for 2+
Since class size is limited, registrations are first-come, first-serve basis, are non-refundable and may not be cancelled. The registration is transferable to another attendee for the same session.